The dessert scene has seen a surge of late in Singapore. However, not all are in the know of the latest and upcoming desserts that would leave you salivating for more! Fret not, HalalTrip is providing you with the knowledge so that you would not miss out on the opportunity of sampling the finest desserts that are entering the scene!
Today, we are introducing a company that serves a delectable dessert with the added benefits of being halal, called "Terang Bulan SG". Here, we can observe a bountiful of flavours of Singapore's latest show-stopping dessert!
We interviewed Ms Adhita - the lady behind Terang Bulan SG. At 26, she runs her own online (Instagram) dessert company, proving herself to be one of the earliest, if not the first, online entrepreneur to sell Murtabak Manis in Singapore. Originally from Indonesia, she used to spend her childhood and adolescent years there before migrating to Singapore.
Often, when she is presented with the opportunity to visit her relatives back in Indonesia, she would rush to the nearest stall that sells her beloved Murtabak Manis. Recently, when she was not able to do her yearly visits and sample her favourite treat, she decided to learn how to make her own version of Murtabak Manis so that she would not have to travel all the way to Indonesia to indulge. And thus, Terang Bulan SG was born. Terang Bulan started a little over 4 months ago after Ms Adhita honed her skills in making the Indonesian street-style pancake for a lengthy period back in Surabaya. Since starting her online company, Terang Bulan SG has earned rave reviews and has managed to retain a steady flow of repeat customers since its inception.
For this Cook Halal series, Ms Adhita shares with us on how to make homemade Murtabak Manis. Murtabak Manis, also known as Sweet Pancake or Martabak Bangka in some parts of Indonesia, is a treat made from a mixture of pancake batter and sugar, fried on a thick frying pan until it becomes bubbly and topped with fillings of your choice (cheese, banana, chocolate). This street food is popular across Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. The following is a quick and easy-to-follow dessert recipe that can be used by everyone. Here's how to get started:
The following steps should be followed carefully and the mentioned ingredients should be used to get mouth-watering results.
Murtabak Manis -
Ingredients (2 stages in total):
1) 200g flour
2) 60g sugar
3) A cup of water
1) 2 eggs
2) 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3)1/2 teaspoon of salt
4) 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1) Mix flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
2) Add water. The mixture must not be too dry nor watery. It has to retain a liquid foundation texture.
3) Once the desired foundation has been achieved, place a cloth over the bowl for 30 minutes.
4) After the 30 minutes is up, add all Stage 2 ingredients into the batter and mix them.
5) Heat up a pan witlow-mediumum heat. Afterwards, place butter and flour on the pan to prevent the batter from sticking onto the pan.
6) Pour the batter and wait for bubbles to form. Once that is achieved, put a lid over the pan.
7) Once done, place on cutting board, brush the murtabak with butter and add your desired toppings
8) Cut, serve and enjoy when it's hot.
Cook Halal is a cooking series where we interview online food business owners to learn more about their story and the secret to their most popular dishes and creations. For more videos in our ongoing series, do check out our YouTube channel!
Special thanks to @terangbulan.sg