Times when I don’t mind stocking up on a few calories, I'd usually turn to a good old doughnut or a scrumptious burger. The Donut Burger — the ultimate cheat meal. This meal is absolutely on a whole new level once both are combined.
Although donuts and burgers together can be too oily for Iftar, this recipe will help you remove that excess oil. In this recipe, the doughnuts will be baked instead of frying it. Also, feel free to add some chips as a side!
Step 1: Making Baked Doughnuts
- Heat milk and water in a small pan and add butter. Ensure that the mixture is heated lightly and doesn't start to boil.
- In a large bowl, add flour, yeast and sugar. Stir well.
- Add the warm milk to the flour mixture, and mix well with a wooden spoon, for around 2 to 3 mins to activate the yeast.
- Add in your salt and mix well.
- Continue mixing the dough for 6 to 8 mins until sticky.
- Once the dough is mixed through, put it in an oiled bowl, and leave the dough to rest. Let it rise for around 1½ to 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, place the dough on a floured surface and knead the dough for a few mins.
- Roll out the dough to a 1½ inch thickness using a floured rolling pin.
- Cut shapes of doughnuts using a doughnut cutter or two round shaped cookie cutters (the smaller one for the doughnut hole and the bigger one for the doughnut itself)
- Lay the doughnut rounds on a baking tray lined with baking sheet .
- At this point cover the doughnuts again with plastic wrap and let it rise for around 30 to 40 mins.
- Once the doughnuts have risen, bake these doughnuts at a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit for around 15 mins. Flip the doughnuts at half time to ensure that both sides are cooked.
Step 2: The Burger Patty
- Beat the egg until fluffy .
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, till all ingredients are fully combined.
- Heat oil in a pan or a griddle.
- Shape the beef into small patties and grill well on both sides (shape the patties similar to the size of the doughnuts).
Step 3: Choose Your Cheese and Veggies
Here are 7 Types of Cheese to choose from:
- Blue Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Pepper Jack
Add some crunch to it by adding vegetables!
- Sliced up Tomatoes
- Sliced up Onions
- Olives (Optional)
Step 4: Stack 'em Up
- Cut your doughnut into half.
- Drizzle a little bit of mayo or mustard on both sides.
- Place the patty, cheese and veggies in place.
- Comple the burger by topping it off with the top of the doughnut!
Try this recipe out and refuel your body after a whole day of fasting! Also, this is a great recipe for parties with your family and friends!