There is no specific time to enjoy a delicious serving of scrumptious pizza! These Pizza Lollipops are great alternatives for families with children that tend to get messy at times. You can call these Pizza Lollipops or even Pizza Pops but these will surely make your spread look extra appetizing during Iftar!
Step 1: Making the Pizza Dough
- Start by activating the yeast. In a small bowl or cup add in your luke warm water to the the yeast and sugar. Stir and let it sit for 5 to 7 mins.
- Add 3 cups of the all purpose flour into a large bowl, add salt and use a wood stirrer and mix.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to the water and yeast mixture and mix well, forming a dough.
- Gradually add flour to the mixture and continue mixing until dough is smooth.
- Knead the dough for around 5 mins and set aside in a greased bowl covered in plastic wrap or a damp cloth .
- Set the dough aside to rise for about 1 ½ hours .
Note – you can speed up this process using a stand mixture. Use the dough hook attachment for this.
Step 2: Marinara Sauce
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add the chopped garlic and onions into the heating oil and cook until tender.
- Once the garlic and onions are tender and fragrant add in your crushed tomatoes and mix well.
- Cook the tomatoes for around 5 minutes.
- Season the sauce with the dried oregano, basil and add salt according to your preference.
- Leave the sauce to simmer for around 10 minutes until it is thick.
Step 3: Toppings
- Sausage and caramelized onions.
- Barbeque chicken.
- Spicy prawns.
- Mushrooms and chopped up bell peppers.
- Olives, cooked chicken and chopped up peppers.
- Pizza margarita with marinara sauce, cheese and fresh basil.
- Chicken and pineapple.
All you have to do to prepare your toppings is by chopping them up into small pieces. You might also want to saute some of your toppings such as the prawns chicken, or mushroom with caramelized onions and olive oil.
Step 4: Assembling the Pizza Lollipops
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celcius or 400 degrees farenheit.
- Place a baking parchment paper over your baking tray.
- Knead the pizza dough well, and take a small portion of your dough, about the size and shape of a golf ball.
- Insert your cake pop stick or popsicle stick to the centre of the dough ball.
- Place the dough in your baking tray and flatten it out to make a circle. (Avoid overcrowding the baking tray)
- Spread your marinara sauce over the pizza pop evenly.
- Top it off with grated mozzarella and other toppings.
- Bake the pizza lollipops for about 20 minutes and serve warm.
Tip: When you are buying the sticks make sure they are on thicker side so that they can hold the pizza in place.
It is that simple to make your Pizza Lollipops. Alternatively, you could buy pre-made dough or marinara sauce from your local supermarket but it is always best to make them from scratch if we have some time up our sleeves. Enjoy this treat with your family and friends for Iftar this Ramadan!