In this episode, we spoke with Shamsydar Ani. Dubbed the "Sambal Queen" (Chili Queen) on the first season of Masterchef Singapore, Shamsydar Ani is no stranger to spice. A true blue foodie, her love for food goes beyond just cooking. She is also a professional food photographer and has recently released her first cookbook - "Spices & Lime: Recipes from a Modern Southeast Asian Kitchen". We find out more about her love for food, cooking tips and also reveal something we've been working on together for a while. We hope you love this episode and Shamsydar as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- Background of Shamsydar Ani - How she started?
- An advocate for modern Malay food - Malay food on the world map
- Cooking Malay food - mixing western methods in Malay cooking
- Agak-agak. Campak-campak.
- The one recipe that she finds difficult to make
- Going to the pasar (market) - different terms
- Singapore as a food haven - Food in Singapore to try
- Comfort foods
- Sambal Belado vs Sambal Belacan
- Masterchef Singapore experience
- Being Muslim in Masterchef Singapore - all halal meat, precautions taken by the show
- Muslim Visitors Guide
- Geylang's significance to Shamsydar - Childhood and old Geylang
- The Chendol store
- Wet Markets and Supermarkets
- Shamsydar's food picks in Geylang Serai
- Shamsydar's Cookbook
- Baby food
Selected Links From the Episode
Muslim Visitor Guides to Singapore and many other destinations!
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!