We can't think of a better guest to have on our first episode of Season 4. An orthopedic surgeon, a mum of four, and a part-time Tik-Toker, Dr Suraya does it all. Her drive and passion for her craft are infectious. Her short videos allow us a peek into the lives of doctors here in Singapore and even a glimpse at what goes into a hip replacement or a biopsy - all from the operating theatre! We hope you love this episode and Dr Suraya as much as we do!
Planning on a trip to Singapore? Or planning to rediscover Singapore? Find out everything you need to know when visiting Singapore with Your Muslim Visitor Guide to Singapore and the Lifestyle Guide to Singapore for Muslim Travellers!
What to Listen For
- Introduction Dr. Suraya and Orthopedics
- Knee Models - Different stages or types of knees
- A common surgery in Orthopedics
- Knee Implants - Cobalt Chrome/metal in the knee
- Hazirah's Grandfather's knee replacement
- Do they feel any pain after the surgery? - The surgery to remove pain in the knee
- Cause of diseased knees - commonly wear and tear
- The Bulk of patients that go through knee surgery - 60 years old and above
- Dr Suraya on TikTok - A peek into the life of a doctor
- What happens in the Operating Theatre (OT)?
- "I want to be a doctor" and decided to be a Surgeon when she was in Medical School
- Why Orthopedics instead of any other fields of surgery?
- The satisfaction of helping somebody back on their feet
- Precautionary measures to avoid knee damage in old age
- Surgery is always the last option - Physiotherapy, exercise first
- Where is the limit to overexertion of your muscles and knees? - Starting and building up slowly
- A day in the life of an Orthopedic Surgeon
- Longest Surgery Dr Suraya has been in
- Always operating in a team - Teamwork in surgery
- The journey to becoming a Doctor - the trajectory and hierarchy in medicine
- The difference in training time between Singapore and those in the USA
- A long road to becoming a Specialist - A huge commitment
- Work-Life Balance - Balancing work, family, and social time as a surgeon
- Handling separation anxiety
- Dr Kelly Torres in Grey's Anatomy interpretation of Orthopedic Surgeons vs Real life
- "It's not about the strength, it's about the technique"
- Looking out for bone damage/dislocation - By talking, by looking, and by diagnosing the patient
- One memory that stuck out in her 11 years in Medicine
- Specialty in Bone Cancer
- Cases that had an impact on her - about a young patient and an old gentleman
- Handling difficult situations
- Chiropractics and Orthopedics
- 3 Pointers everyone should know
- Pay attention to Bone Health and not neglecting your bones until it's too late - Osteoporosis is a huge issue
- A good diet to prevent Osteoporosis
- Exercise! - Weight training and gentle strength exercises will go a long way
- Preventing Obesity - Not only bad for the bones but it is also a large contributor to many diseases
- Vitamin D - A key step to absorbing calcium into the body
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!