Geriatric medicine is a field not all of us are familiar with but it's a stage we will all enter eventually in our old age. In this episode, Dr Farhan shares about what goes into managing end-of-life issues in the elderly including chronic general medical issues and advanced care planning. The realities of falls and frailty, incontinence, depression, delirium, and dementia in the elderly are real and we learn how to empathize with those around us who are going through a similar experience. We hope you love this episode and Dr Farhan as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Geriatrics and Dr Farhan
- Geriatrician - A doctor specializing in Older People
- Sometimes it's not based on age but based on geriatric conditions
- Is it something that we can expect? - Seeing a geriatrician
- "Growing old is an opportunity"
- The average lifespan of men and women in Singapore
- Why do women live longer in general? - Why is it so?
- Statistically in 2050, the longevity increases
- Advancements in healthcare as compared to the past
- How do the patients react when they hear they are facing the conditions?
- Would you like to live to a 100 years old?
- A doctor in medical school
- Breaking the news to her patients - Can be tough for the patients
- Caring for someone with dementia - Getting their families involved
- "36 hour day" and caregiving advice
- 1 in 4 Singaporean will be a senior in 2030
- Support for dementia patients is really important
- Who helps the patients without family? - Loneliness and the Isolated Elderly
- A Day in the life of a Geriatrician
- How does she handle hard-to-handle patients? - A common occurrence
- Balancing family and career
- Inconveniences from conditions - Stressful for the patients
- How do you treat or prevent some of these conditions? - e.g. urinary issues
- Nursing homes and care homes - More care facilities in the neighborhoods
- The difference in institutions - Nursing homes, daycare centers, hospice care, informal care, and so on. It depends on the services they offer.
- The stigma with Nursing homes - In some situations, it might be the better choice
- Nursing homes and the elderly
- The impact of the Asian Culture - Filial Piety
- Dr Farhan's advice - Make sure everyone is vaccinated. Be there for the seniors after their vaccinations due to the side-effects
- Dementia patients might not have the capacity to make the decisions in this matter as they might not fully understand the vaccines
- Sometimes we need to help them with it
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!