Being a doula is uncommon here and you hardly hear mums engaging one when during their pregnancy. Well, that's about to change as we learned from Siti Hajjar. We find out more about the role of a doula is helping mums make informed decisions during pregnancy, labor, and birth. They empathize, provide guidance and emotional support and be there to remind them that they can trust the strength of their bodies during this time. We hope you love this episode and Sit Hajjar as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- What is a Doula?
- Introduction to Siti Hajjar and why she chose to become a doula
- The Womb Service and changing things bit by bit
- Many different types of Doulas - Birth Doulas, Post Partem Doulas, and Death Doulas
- Birth and Postpartum Doulas in Singapore
- Birth Coaching
- Helping the couple make informed decisions
- Siti Hajjar's traumatic experience in childbirth
- Didn't know what to expect and what to do
- The process of giving birth
- "The cut"
- There are more traumatizing experiences for others - don't want other women to go through it
- Are the doulas allowed in the delivery suite with the mother?
- Many different methods of support - hydrotherapy, birth ball, and more
- Different reactions to different situations
- How many months are doulas usually with the moms?
- Changing the habits - Eating during pregnancy, healthy lifestyle
- When is the right time to engage the services of a doula?
- Building a relationship between the doulas and the moms - to help make the journey better
- Thoughts on Epidural - Pro-choice
- Rating the pain on childbirth - All about mindset
- Shifting the idea of pain and referring it to power
- Contractions - Cervical Effacement & Dilation
- How does it feel like being pregnant?
- Other forms of giving birth - Waterbirth
- Is it a better option?
- Homebirth? - Best to get a
- The difference between a Midwife and a Doula
- Myths and Superstitions about pregnancy in the Malay Culture "Pantang Larang"
- The Doula's role post-childbirth / Postpartum Doulas
- Confinement nannies
- What are the different practices for different races for doulas? - Science and religion
- Social media teaching about birth and parenting nowadays - Better now
- The most memorable story that Siti Hajjar will never forget in her doula journey - Her first time attending and without a mentor
- Another story that Siti Hajjar thinks is memorable - The strength of this patient/customer
- How important is the Husband's support during childbirth?
- Final advice to those experiencing their first pregnancy
- Watch what you eat and lead a healthy lifestyle
- Get educated and informed
- Rally your support from your loved ones before you give birth
- Don't be afraid to ask for help
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!