With more than 4 million likes on Tik Tok, Dr. Salehatul Khuzaimah shares her day-to-day life as a veterinarian. Her love of all animals - big and small - is obvious and in this episode, she tells us the best and challenging parts of being an animal doctor. We posed her frequently asked questions on how she balances being a vet and a Muslim, and how she manages the death of a patient. We hope you love this episode and Dr. Salehatul as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Dr. Salehatul Khuzaimah
- What are considered exotic animals?
- Can all vets cater to all animals? Or just cats and dogs?
- How did her love for animals start?
- People who are traumatized by cats - Her husband and how he now loves them
- Start from kittens?
- What does a vet do on a day-to-day basis? - Different for different vets in their fields
- Are they classified by species or body parts (like for human beings)?
- Are animal bodies very similar to human bodies?
- Anatomically different but physiologically similar
- Facing new challenges and learning new things every day - different pets/subjects
- Diagnosing a patient that cannot speak - Looking out for behaviors and body language
- Basic guidelines on each species or breed
- Smallest animal and biggest animal she has operated on - Hamster and Large dog
- The most exotic animal she has treated? - Slow Loris, Baby Ostrich
- Spiders? Fish?
- Treating dogs as a Muslim - Sertu is a norm and already a routine
- Samak vs Sertu
- Sertu soap
- Among the different animals she treats, any specific species that are more challenging to handle?
- All species have different ways to handle
- Animal births - How much different are they from human births?
- How long is the birth period for a cat or dog?
- Chef Wan's cat giving birth
- How does she deal with losses as a vet?
- Tips for pet owners - Cases that are common occurrences, when should you rush to the vet (Emergency) and what you should do on the way?
- Charcoal tablets might come in handy!
- PSA: Do not self-medicate your pets and don't give human food to your pets!
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!