One of the things that impress us the most is how Sumayyah (Sumi) built a brand and rebuilt the same brand - all while being home away from home. She was working remotely before everyone was! We admire Sumi's tenacity and even more her energy, especially when talking about Olloum, her customers, and the support she receives from everyone around her. We hope you love this episode and Sumi as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Summayah Nasaruddin or Sumi
- Living in Saudi Arabia and what brought her there
- Living away from the family and missing home
- Boarding school
- How Olloum started - What does 'Olloum' mean?
- A tough start and the support from her family
- Knowing your customers
- Olloum's sportswear
- Looking good while still thinking about the environment
- Why the first try flopped
- Import factors of modest fashion and comfort
- Friendly competition in modest wear
- Stiving for growth rather than chasing virality - Repeating customers and loyalty
- Fashion industry - When someone else copies and learning from each other
- Entrepreneurial mindset - Remembering why they do it in the first place?
- Balancing Tawakal and KPIs
- Starting a brand targeting customers in a different country - Pros and Cons
- Trust and learning to depend on each other
- Switching industries from law to fashion - Moved by passion and motivation
- Is Passion enough to create your own brand?
- The key is to have faith in Allah
- Olloum is not a modest fashion brand, it is a Muslimah brand
- Being an unapologetic Muslim
- What is Sumi's favorite Arabic catchphrase?
- Final words from Summayah
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!