As a speech language therapist, Shamiah assists children in mainstream pre-school in speech therapy, language skills, and social skills. She shares the importance of early detection and intervention and the common misconceptions people have about speech therapists (hint: they're not the same as English language teachers!) We hope you love this episode and Shamiah as much as we do!
Planning on a trip to Singapore? Or planning to rediscover Singapore? Find out everything you need to know when visiting Singapore with Your Muslim Visitor Guide to Singapore and the Lifestyle Guide to Singapore for Muslim Travellers!
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Shamiah Bafadhal and what is a Speech Therapist?
- What does a Speech Therapist do?
- Speech Therapy package
- Most common reasons why a child gets flagged for speech therapy
- Importance of Understanding
- The age range of children
- When should you intervene?
- Nurseries, for a child, is enrolling into a nursery or child care give the child an advantage?
- What happens in a speech therapy session?
- Speech case vs language case
- "A space where they can be themselves for them to express themselves" - Following the lead
- Association between therapy and medical practices
- Bridging medical aspects with quality of life and more
- Difference between Language teachers and Speech Therapists
- Advice on getting the attention of children
- Children born with a condition with their tongue
- Cases where the problem persists even after the sessions and what happens next?
- "Not a pill solution but a process"
- Tongue-tie release
- Speech impediments in adults
- Trouble connecting with others
- Tips for young parents - What can they do at home for language stimulation?
- Engage and have a conversation with children
- Not leaving it to the last minute
- Separating whether the child is being shy/an introvert or having speech issues
- "Every individual is different"
- Speech Therapy and autism - Social Thinking
- Self-Regulatory problem
- Pelat - Lisps
- A personality?
- "...Attentive, aware and supportive of your child's individuality is an important thing"
- Where to find speech therapists if you need one?
Selected Links From the Episode
Speech and Language Therapists Singapore (SALTS)
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!