Maktaba Books is a peer-to-peer library that first sparked from a conversation in a barber. Today, Maktaba Books is the avenue for anyone who wants to get their hands on a selection of over 400 books for free. Azrin and Hadi shared the fruitful journey of Maktaba books, the trials, and the amazing support they have received from the community. We hope you love this episode and Maktaba Books as much as we do!
Planning on a trip to Singapore? Or planning to rediscover Singapore? Find out everything you need to know when visiting Singapore with Your Muslim Visitor Guide to Singapore and the Lifestyle Guide to Singapore for Muslim Travellers!
What to Listen For
- What is Maktaba Books?
- Introduction to the team behind Maktaba Books - Azrin, Hadi and Izza
- Balancing their full-time jobs and running Maktaba Books
- The amazing support from the community
- NUS Muslim Society (NUSMS)
- Tech side behind the operation - streamlining the processes
- How did the idea of Maktaba Books come about? - The start of Maktaba Books
- The process of borrowing and leasing books
- The book exchange - meeting physically, mail delivery, physical location at QUIET
- Quiet and Bilal Books
- Concerns they had when setting up the movement
- Experiences or situations where the books came back not as good as when the lender leased them out
- Challenges they faced running Maktaba Books - Automation
- People who volunteered to test the platform out
- Strong support from their followers
- If you could have one book to bring to an island, what book would it be?
- Azrin - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Hadi - Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi
- Nurul - Al-Quran or How-To books
- Raudha - Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes by Tamim Ansary
- Hazirah - Al-Quran with transliterations
- What can we look forward to with Maktaba Books?
- "Not a library but a connecter..." - Connecting people to knowledge
- Looking to invite Key opinion leaders to share more about specific topics for people who are interested to learn - To make knowledge accessible
- Growing their book catalog and growing the book community
Selected Links From the Episode
Quiet by Bilal Books
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!