A journey that took over six months, more than $3,000 and enough grit to last a lifetime, Yahn Adam traversed land and sea from London to Singapore. Passing through Estonia, Latvia, Russia, Kazakhstan, China and others, Yahn talks about the challenges he faced hitchhiking as a brown, Asian man and the amazing hospitality that greeted him in the most unexpected places. We hope you love this episode and Yahn as much as we do!
What to Listen For
- Introduction to the Brown Hitchhiker, Yahn Adam
- Before the grand hitchhiking, not having a passport and not being so interested in traveling
- A fashion designer
- The name the Brown Hitchhiker
- "Thumbs up" to hitchhike
- Traveling with truck drivers
- Scared that hitchhiking might go wrong?
- Interesting stories and conversations he had during the journey
- Using Google translate to tackle the language barrier
- Backpacking to Myanmar and meeting other hitchhikers and joining another hitchhiker to hitchhike for 2 weeks in Myanmar
- Then solo hitchhiking for the first time in Malaysia, from Sabah to Sarawak
- Losing money during his travels in Vietnam
- First couch surfing experience
- Other exciting couch surfing experience - Kazakhstan
- A great experience with a family in Kazahstan
- The difference between couch surfing in Europe and couch surfing in Asia
- Being a Musafir
- Airbnbs and couch surfing
- "Would you host your past hosts in return?"
- Family and friends' reaction when Yahn went hitchhiking
- Buying a one-way ticket and getting questioned at the customs
- His route home from London - The countries he went to on the way home
- Best hitchhiking story yet part 1
- Traveling to China
- Relying on the internet for his travels
- Just brushing off any unfair treatment and be kind to everybody
- Plans to hitchhike now that travel is coming back
- Hitchhike from India to Russia. Already started the trip but having to come back when the pandemic hit
- "Retiring" his hitchhiking days
- Which country has the nicest people? - Different for different people
- An interesting story in Russia during the World Cup - Meeting and hanging out with someone who turns out to be a homeless person who sleeps under a car
- Keeping in contact with the people he met in the past
- If you could only visit only one city, where would it be? - Aktobe, Kazakhstan and Samara, Russia
- When driving, would the team stop and pick up a hitchhiker by the side of the road?
- Hitchhiking daytime or night?
Selected Links From the Episode
The Brown Hitchhiker
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!