In this episode, we chat with Jordan Karim, Founder of Flora & Noor, on how she got into producing her own skincare line, the biggest secrets of skincare products, and finding the right ingredients to treat her son's eczema.
Today, Flora & Noor is solely focused on skincare that is vegan, halal, and cruelty-free, with an extra special spot for melanin-rich skin.
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Jordan Karim and Flora & Noor, the only halal skincare brand based in the USA
- Girl Boss Goods
- Vegan, Halal, cruelty-free, and specifically targeted to melanin-rich skin
- What's the difference between the skin tones from the products point-of-view?
- There might be different concerns or goals from people with different skin tones
- Skin Cancer - More or lesser risk for people with melanin-rich skin tones
- Why are UV rays from the sun dangerous for the skin and why you should use sunscreen?
- SPF and Vitamin C
- Sunscreen even indoors
- Launching a Halal skincare brand
- "When a product is vegan, it doesn't mean it is halal"
- Animal-derived ingredients like squalene, glycerin, and more and substituting them with halal ingredients.
- What are the most basic things that we need every day?
- Moisturize and oily skin
- Acne scars
- Vitamin C, the best thing to look out for.
- What it was like setting up the brand at the start?
- "Don't go with the first person you see, make sure you are interviewing, vetting, and finding the right people for you."
- How long do the products take? - From the idea to the shelf
- How do brands test their products and formulas?
- Research and recommendations
- Being halal certified, the product and even the packaging has to go through checks from Islamic bodies
- Choosing people with different skin types/skin goals to test
- Another focus of the brand is on chronic skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- Creating a product for her son in the kitchen that ended up being an Amazon bestseller
- When making a product, was there a time when they had to educate the people involved on what's halal and why it's important
- Halal being for more than just meat
- 3 best sellers that anyone should get from Flora & Noor
- Subscriptions are available too
- Where can people find Flora & Noor?
- Does the environment matter for skincare products?
- Make-up-safe sunscreen coming up!
Selected Links From the Episode
Halal Travel Podcast
The Halal Travel Podcast hosted by Hazirah, Nurul, and Raudha as they talk candidly about travel, food, life, and everything else in between and sometimes with awesome guests! Listen to moving and inspirational stories from our guests from all walks of life.
Check out The Halal Travel Podcast page here!