Deciding on the ideal Halal-friendly holiday destination can prove to be a meticulous process. The planning process would need to involve checking up on several aspects of travel and accommodation in order to ensure that the needs of Muslim travelers are catered to. The availability of Halal food, access to prayer room facilities and mosques in the area are all factors that would be needed to be taken into consideration during the planning process. Certain destinations tend to be more capable of catering to Halal conscious travelers than others.
Two separate country rankings - one for OIC destinations and another for non-OIC destinations - have been prepared and listed below. The ranks were determined after judging each country on its overall Halal friendliness, taking into account the facilities, services and amenities that it offers Muslim travellers as well as its suitability for family travel.
10) Egypt: Egypt - the land of pyramids, pharaohs and glittering dynasties - is an immensely popular tourist destination for Halal conscious travelers. Must-visit locations in Egypt include Hurghada, Cairo, Sharm El Sheikh, Luxor, Dahab, Alexandria and Aswan.
9) Tunisia: Offering rich culture and numerous spectacular sights, Tunisia is ranked 9th amongst the top Halal friendly destinations belonging to the OIC. The most popular destinations in Tunisia include Tunis - the capital city - as well as Sousse, Sfax and Gabès.
8) Qatar: The richest country in the world is also one of the best options when it comes to Halal travel. Qatar offers visitors a number of fascinating attractions in addition to popular destinations such as the capital city of Doha, Al-Khor, Rayyan and Wakra.
7) Jordan: A country known for its long history and many civilizations, Jordan is home to a population of close to 6.4 million residents and offers plenty to Muslim travellers. Amman, Aqaba, Ajlun, Irbid, Jerash and Petra are amongst its most-visited destinations.
6) Morocco: Morocco offers genuine warm hospitality and a rich Islamic history to captivate Muslim travelers and to make them feel at home. Tangier - the hometown of Ibn Battuta - as well as Rabat, Fez, Marrakech, Al Hoceima and Ouarzazate are destinations that must not be missed.
5) Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia being included amongst the best destinations for Muslim travellers perhaps comes by no surprise. In addition to the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah, other much visited cities include Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Tabuk and Taif.
4) Indonesia: Indonesia offer a bit of everything - breathtaking beaches, natural wonders, historic attractions...as well as an abundance of facilities and amenities for Muslim travelers. Must-visit destinations in the country include Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Ubud City, Bandung, Medan, Lombok and Bali Island.
3) Turkey: Turkey offers stunning natural splendor with centuries of history and is a fantastic holiday destination for Muslim travelers. The cities of Antalya, Istanbul, Izmir, Ani, Oludeniz and Konya are a few of the most visited destinations and are definitely worth seeing.
2) United Arab Emirates: With seven emirates to explore, the United Arab Emirates will dazzle and amaze every traveler with its pure brilliance and magnificence. Must-visit locations include Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Hatta, Khor Fakkan, Sharjah and Umm al Quwain.
1) Malaysia: The best Halal-friendly country in the world is none other than beautiful Malaysia. Known for its exotic yet delectable cuisine and numerous attractions, Malaysia caters to the needs of Muslim travelers with ease. Visitors should not miss out on popular destinations such as Kuala Lumpur, Georgetown, Johor Bahru and Melaka.
In addition to the above mentioned OIC countries, non-OIC countries were also ranked on their Halal-friendliness. Singapore topped the list, with South Africa, Thailand, United Kingdom, Bosnia & Herzegovina, India, Hong Kong, Germany, Australia and Tanzania claiming the other ranks respectively.